Sunday 10 January 2016

The Unsung Heroes: Indian Army Wives

Once, Yama, the ruler of hell, heard a large group of women laughing and talking, enjoying a party in hell. He asked his assistant to find out who these women were, and how were they so happy even in hell! Yama's assistant instantly answered his query, 'Sir, these are Indian Army Wives. They enjoy wherever they go.'

That might sound like a joke to many. But to my ears and eyes, it is the absolute truth. I walk among hundreds of heroes as a part of my daily routine. Someone might come across an inspiring story once in a while. I have hundreds of such stories happening around me, which I witness, feel and live. I see my heroes, I am proud to be in their company, we smile at each other and nod a 'good evening' or 'good morning', even when we don't know each other's names. We know that it does not matter much, we are friends anyways. Such is the spirit of our Army, our officers, and naturally, their better halves. Yes, my heroes are none other than Indian Army Wives!

Indian Army wives constitute a little army by themselves. This little army is a storehouse of talent and fun, a cache of songs and laughter and a beacon of hope in dark times of loss and turmoil. Among this group, one can meet women from all walks of life. Doctors, engineers, army officers, civil servants, lawyers, journalists, air hostesses, teachers, entrepreneurs, authors, poets, actors, classical dancers, corporate trainers, singers, artistes, you name it, we have her! How they manage to be everything that they are is nothing short of magic! At times, they leave me star-struck with their wit, their beauty, their panache, their elegance, their rich taste and class. But these qualities can be easily seen by anyone. Indian Army wives are much more than that. They are an ocean of beautiful hearts and minds, come together drop by drop, handpicked by destiny, to be paired with the bravest on earth.

I read somewhere, that we should not judge others, as we do not know their story. But I have seen people judging army wives many times. You see them partying daily, but you do not see the uncertainty of tomorrow clawing at their nerves. You see their glamour and style, you do not see the struggle that they go through in moving between one mossy old house to another, every alternate year, or even before that. You think that they do not lift a finger, but actually, the amount of back-breaking work that they do goes unnoticed, well hidden behind their charm. You can spot her driving away in a sedan, but you are conveniently unaware of the fact that she is running from pillar to post, to keep everything in place in the absence of her husband. You think that they enjoy too many 'freebies', you never try to understand their pain that is darker than those 30 odd black boxes in which they carry their entire life.

Staying away from her husband for a while is a part of any army wife's life. During these tough times, while the officer is braving the challenges of glaciers and super low temperatures, the wife has her own glaciers to climb. In that duration, she doubles up as a father to her kids, a son to her in laws, and does everything that the man of the house is supposed to do, that too with elan. Did you know that army wives compare their separation length with each other and someone who has been away 'only' for three years in a marriage of seven years feels luckier than the one who had to spend three years and one month away. Isn't that a fancy yardstick? 

Life, in itself is not easy. Life as a woman is more difficult. Women have the fighter's instinct and they are tough from within. Army wives are a lot tougher. They live in the present and enjoy thoroughly while keeping in mind that tomorrow might be different. The past year went like a slideshow, leaving me scared and saddened many times. Every now and then, an unfortunate news comes and wakes me up from my sweet dreams to the harsh truth. The reason of my not writing much this September and October was not sheer laziness or any kind of fancy army-wife-partying spree, it was a rather low and heartbroken phase for me. We lost Maj Dhruv Yadav, an officer who I met very briefly, and had the chance to find out how much he loved kids. He used to ask Coco, 'Who am I?', and when Coco replied 'Dhu uncle' in recognition, his face beamed with joy. Proud to be in Coco's good book, he did this again and again, just for the fun of it. 

When his news came, all I could remember was Coco's beloved 'Dhu uncle' and his radiant smile and cried at the sheer injustice of fate. I have never spoken to his wife, but all I could think of was her, and their unborn child.  I bless his son with all my might, and wish him all the happiness of the world. Even today, not a day goes without remembering Maj Yadav, though I barely knew him. I do not know anyone stronger than his wife, and salute her for being so brave. She, and many others like her have proved time and again, that as long as we have such iron willed women, our frontiers will stay safe.

I must let you in on a little secret now. I am an army wife myself, and consider myself quite strong. A senior officer once jokingly said that I should be awarded 'Paramveer Chakra' for my bravery of staying alone in this 'forest resort' like house for a few months. But I think my bravery ends there. Inside, I am scared. When I was about to get married, my colleagues sometimes played 'ae jaate huye lamhon' for me, not knowing that inside I died a thousand deaths. Can you believe, I run away whenever the movie Border is being aired on tv? I haven't watched it, and do not have the courage to watch it ever either. My bucket list has bungee jumping though! I pray to God for peace and harmony, because no one else's life depends on it but my own. Whereas, my magnanimous heroes promise to stand by each other, come rain or sunshine. They do not know defeat, and quitting is not an option for them. They stand proudly by their faujis and  that my friends is all the more reason why I worship my heroes, these soldiers without uniforms, the Indian Army Wives.  


17 comments:

  1. This is such a heartfelt post. If I say that I can totally understand what you go through, I would be lying. I agree with you that being an Indian Army Wife takes more mettle. Kudos to you and all Indian army wives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly deserving tribute to Army Wives....your post is beautifully written, straight from the heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Sunaina. I have written what I see everyday. Thank you so much for appreciating.

      Delete
  3. Would you believe I cried while reading this...beautifully expressed..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully written.....it's hard n no one understand....i cried while tesding this

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gunjan its just flawless the way you have expressed all of it.Tears ran down my eyes while reading.Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was utterly confused while writing this. Don't know how it all came together. Thank you so much for appreciating.

      Delete
  6. गुंजन जी, बिल्कुल सही है। सैनिक बॉर्डर पर लड‌ते है लेकिन सैनिकों की पत्नियां घर पर उससे भी ज्यादा कठीन परिस्थितियों का सामना करती है। लेकिन इस ओर किसी का ध्यान ही नहीं जाता। बहुत ही सुंदर तरिके से वर्णन किया है आपने।

    ReplyDelete
  7. गुंजन जी, बिल्कुल सही है। सैनिक बॉर्डर पर लड‌ते है लेकिन सैनिकों की पत्नियां घर पर उससे भी ज्यादा कठीन परिस्थितियों का सामना करती है। लेकिन इस ओर किसी का ध्यान ही नहीं जाता। बहुत ही सुंदर तरिके से वर्णन किया है आपने।

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gunjan, such a beautiful and heartwarming post!! Army Wives deserve a salute! I can't imagine the plight when their husbands are gone for months fighting to keep this country safe. And yet we as a country lack compassion for these brave souls, both the army and army wives. My aunt and now my sis in law both are army wives like you and I salute all you women! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Aditi. I dont think our country lacks compassion altogether. But you know how a few bad examples here and there can mar the entire image.

      Delete